I'm trying to work out some good veggie taco recipes because (dare I say it) I'm in a bit of a taco rut.
they are all i want to eat - ALL DAY LONG.
I believe I could live on tacos but I normally opt for chicken or shrimp ones which got me thinking that if I do ever get the confidence to follow my food truck dream (ahem, did I just say that out loud?
) then I will need a good veggie option, right?
So, I found one and it's a really really good one, and it was so quick to make. I loved it, the mister loved it, and as a Brucey bonus, the kids loved it! Whoo Hoo!
I mixed the sides up a little and served them with some pink pickled onions (which are quick and easy to make) & all the flavours went together perfectly.
So what are you waiting for? Go on, go make!
(you can grab the recipe for the pink pickled onions
For 4 - 6 tacos, you will need:
recipe adapted from here
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed the sliced
- 2 tsps sweet smoked paprika
- 1 (400g) tin of chick peas, drained & rinsed
- 4 - 6 small wheat tortillas
- 1/2 block of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small bunch of coriander, chopped
- sea salt
- pink pickled onions and a selection of hot sauces optional but recommended!
And you will need to do this:
1. In a large deep frying pan, heat your olive oil over a medium heat. When hot, add your onion and chilli and sauté with a little salt until softened.
2. Stir in the smoked paprika and continue to cook for another 30 seconds. Add your chickpeas and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for roughly 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, remove from the heat & lightly mash the chickpeas. You don't want a complete 'mash' so don't be too heavy handed and leave a few whole. Taste & add a little more salt in needed.
4. Serve with your sides & get going!